CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

NYC cab drivers have nothing on Indian drivers

If you think the traffic in Atlanta is bad, you haven't seen anything. There is no ryhme or reason to the driving here. It's very crowded. Seat belts are not worn. Families of five will get on one scooter. And the horn is used often. At first glance, it seems scary and awkward, but after awhile you get used to it.

I am going to try to post some pics now. We have been having a bit of trouble with it. Also, news flash, I am going to check about us coming home early. If the change fees are outrageous, then we won't. But, if they are less than staying in the hotel again, then we might do it.

Tomorrow, we are going shopping with Saju and his wife Nissi. We are going to the Garuda Mall, which is a really nice one, I am told. We are also going by Shishu Mandir again to get the rest of Ambika's clothes and a photo album we gave her.

I will let everyone know if we are heading home early.

4 comments:

Christina said...

What do the horns mean anyway? Nobody could tell us.
Hope you can come home early. I know M1 and M2 are hoping so too.
Enjoy the shopping. It will be an adventure in itself.

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
Christina passed along your blog, and I am enjoying your journey. Good luck and hope that you will bring your full family by to visit when things settle down.
Marcia Bryan

Ashley said...

The horns are not a negitive thing like in the US. The horns let the other drivers know that I am here and make way for me or you need to get over a bit so I can get by. The funny thing is that scooters and motorcycles are more efficient because, you can park them anywhere and go through tight places in traffic. The lane markers are a waste of paint because if they can fit four cars and five motorcycles into three lanes they do it. I rode with Saju about 1 1/2 hours during the 4 to 8 pm rush on his motorcycle. That was fun. A family of 4 to 5 people get on the motorcycles - baby on gas tank, Dad driving, two kids in the middle and mom on the back to sandwich in the two in the middle. We haven't had the camera out to capure this family experience.

Anonymous said...

So happy to be home to be able to check this blog - a little afraid to do so at work considering our new environment. Glad to hear that you got the visa. I hope it wasn't as much trouble as you perhaps anticipated. Cannot wait to hear how the shopping goes. Hope all goes well when you go back to Shishu Mandir. The driving sounds like an experience we had in the Caribbean. Do please let us know if you are coming home early & on what flight & what time etc. Missing but still praying for you all.